Saturday, 31 March 2012

Animation Tests

An animation test of Dozel walking into the kitchen.


video



Pigwig shuffling round the kitchen.

video

Puppet Fabrication (Complete)

Dozel


Once the main body was cut to shape I inserted two metal circles into Dozel's stomach (for decoration), one copper and the other silver coloured.


I covered his feet in foam using spray glue, then cut round the shape. I did the same for his eyes and hands.





Greedy


I spray glued some foam over Greedy's eyes and feet, then cut round the foam to shape it.


Pigwig


I glued a large metal nut into some soft foam for Pigwig's body, this would help when animating using magnets. I then shaped the foam using scissors to make his body shape, then glued his face on with epoxy.



I mixed acrylic and latex to paint the puppets.




Finished Puppets

Dozel



Greedy


Pigwig




I am extremely happy with how the puppets have turned out, the foam gives them a great texture, adding something extra to the shiny metal used.









Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Kitchen Set (Finished)

I found some bits of green plastic in my box of components, which luckily matched the kitchen tiles perfectly. I attached them as handles, to the cupboard doors and drawers.


Using epoxy, I glued metal nuts to the base of the kitchen counter as stands.



I found an image of a clock that I liked (multi-coloured clock below) which I used as a base for the kitchen wall clock.


Below is the finished kitchen set.


I arranged a selection of the picnic food on the worktop.



Below are some of the cakes, pizza slices and pieces of bread that Lily made.





Sunday, 18 March 2012

Kitchen Set (Part One)

I chose Lily Goodchild, (one of my second year assistants) to help with the kitchen set, I had seen some of her work and knew it to be of a high standard. I asked her to do research into kitchen designs to start with, I immediately liked the images she found and asked her to do a few sketches from the ones I chose below.




One of Lily's sketches that I chose...


 She did a few colour variations to check how the units would match




We then took some photos of the basic set with a colour cut-out of Dozel in it to check what colour schemes would actually work.


I asked Lily to put the image into Photoshop and come up with a number of different colour schemes,


I chose the pale yellow and green colour combination, as it went well with Dozel's colouring and looked quite retro and quirky.


Once I had cut out the basic kitchen counter shape in pink foam and the worktop in MDF, Lily carved the counter into a nice rounded shape with a craft knife. She then covered it with poly-filler, sanded it, then painted it with acrylic.


She cut out shapes for the drawers and cupboards in card then painted them with the same pale yellow acrylic.



 

Finally sticking the shapes on using epoxy glue.


I did a few tests for the wall tiles using foam board which I drew on to, then scored along the lines.

     

I was not happy with how they looked as they reminded me of shiny bathroom tiles, I decided to use thin card instead and cut out light green squares which I then stuck on to a sheet of darker green card.


Below is a photo of Lily painting white dots on to a sheet of pale yellow card for the wallpaper, amazing patience I have to say!


 I am pleased with how well the yellow wallpaper and green tiles go together. 


The kitchen so far...























Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Puppet Fabrication (Part One)

Foam Tests

Using thick white foam and thin grey foam, I used spray glue to sandwich wire in between the foam, then cut round the edges to see how smooth and seam free I could get them.






Once I had made sure that the foam method worked well, I began adding foam to the armatures.

Dozel





Greedy






The image below shows the spray glue that I used, Greedy's head and body and Dozel's complete body have been glued, they now need trimming down.